High-intensity group exercise is now permitted, provided all participants and instructors are fully vaccinated with two doses.
Low-intensity group exercise, gyms and fitness/dance studios require proof of vaccination (minimum one dose) until Oct. 24, 2021 as per the requirements of the BC Vaccine Card after which two doses will be required.
Exercise that generally results in significantly increased respiration rates is considered high intensity, while exercise that does not result in significantly increased respiration rates is considered low intensity.
The list of activities are examples of low and high intensity activities. Gym, studio, and fitness centre operators should use best judgement in identifying the intensity of group exercise.
Low intensity exercise
- Barre (lower intensity classes)
- Exercise machines/cardio equipment (low intensity)
- Light weightlifting
- Pilates (lower intensity classes)
- Yoga (hatha)
High intensity exercise
- Barre (high intensity/cardio classes)
- Boot camp
- Bodybuilding / heavy weightlifting
- Circuit training
- CrossFit (high intensity activities/classes)
- Dance fitness (Zumba and similar)
- Exercise machines/cardio equipment (high intensity)
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
- Kickboxing (Tai Bo and similar)
- Yoga (hot, power)
Masks are required in common areas of sports and fitness centres when not engaged in physical activity.